Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Keith on being a baby daddy


Keith Urban waited until he turned 40 to become a father, and it seems as if he's viewing parenthood with a sensible, mature outlook. While Keith and Nicole Kidman are looking forward to the birth of their first child, he's the first to say that he's not quite certain what changes are in store for him as a daddy.

"I've given it a lot of thought, but at the same time, how can you sort of prepare yourself for that?" Keith said on the national radio show GAC Nights: Live From Nashville. "I'm just very, very grateful, and I think the timing is just divine."

Keith has the ability to wing it when he launches into a guitar solo, and it appears he may do that just a bit as a father. Even as he gears up for the birth, he recognizes that he can't say with any certainty what experiences he most wants to impart to his child.

"I'll let you know all of that," he said. "I may sit here and say one thing, but reality's a whole different thing. I'm fortunate that I have parents that supported my career and obviously music. I think we just have to wait and see. Everybody wants parents to support their passion."

Keith and Nicole's baby is due in June.