Friday, August 22, 2008

Darius Rucker... IS Thinking About It!


Darius Rucker reached the Top 10 on the country singles chart this week for the first time, taking a hefty jump from No. 13 to No. 8 with "Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It."

The single’s success is particularly rewarding for Darius because he basically called the shots on the single. When the Hootie + The Blowfish singer signed with the country division of Capitol Records, he found himself in disagreement with the label head over "Don’t Think," and he ultimately had to take a stand over releasing it to radio.

"I said, 'Dude, this is it. This is what we want,'" Darius explained "I said, 'It's not the best song on the record, but this is the song that could get us in the door and, you know, that's what we want.' We went round and round about it, and finally, I guess for lack of any other reason, they put it out, and it worked for us. I love that song! Somebody told me the other day, 'You know, you're gonna be playin' that song for the rest of your life.' I've been playin' 'Let Her Cry' for 22 years, and I'm okay with that. So I'll be okay with [this]."