Tuesday, August 19, 2008

GAC Talks With Jimmy Wayne About TIMING


"Time," the Rolling Stones once sang, "is on my side." And Jimmy Wayne seems to believe it’s also in his corner as he prepares for the release next Tuesday of his sophomore album, Do You Believe Me Now.

His debut CD arrived in 2003, meaning he’s had to wait five years to put out his second project. That certainly tested his patience, but he’s convinced that it also made for a better product in the long run.

"I really do believe in divine timing," he says, "and looking back, if this album had come out soon after my first album in 2003, there are so many songs that would not have been written and so many experiences would not have been had. If I had not gone through the waiting and the trials that I went through in the past few years, songs like ‘Where You’re Going’ and ‘Kerosene Kid’ would not have been written. I did a lot of reflection on my past and where I am now during the downtime, and all of that is reflected on this album."

It features guest vocal appearances by Patty Loveless and by pop singer John Oates, of the Philadelphia duo Hall & Oates. And the timing is indeed very good: The title track is currently in country music’s Top 10.