Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Taylor's first number 1


I guess you could say... her number 1... number 1?

Taylor Swift's "Our Song" tops both the R&R/Billboard and Mediabase country singles charts this week, making her the youngest artist to write and sing a No. 1 single entirely on her own.

Sitting at No. 6 last week, "Our Song" has made the biggest jump to the top of the charts since Tim McGraw's "Just To See You Smile" went from No. 6 to No. 1 10 years ago — a neat coincidence since Taylor's debut single was titled "Tim McGraw." Taylor's leap to No. 1 is also the biggest for a female artist since Tim's wife, Faith Hill, took her debut single, "Wild One," from No. 6 to No. 1 in 1994.

Taylor also made some personal career history as this is her first No. 1 song. In addition, over the weekend she crossed the 31 million mark for music streams on her MySpace page, further establishing herself as the first bona fide country star of the MySpace generation. Also this week, "Our Song" entered the Top 10 on the most-added songs on Facebook. Taylor is the only country artist on this chart.

"The fact that this was a song that I wrote in 20 minutes and the fact that it is now a real life, actual No. 1 song, I haven't quite taken it in yet," Taylor tells Dial-Global. "I'm absolutely blown away and I'm absolutely honored that country radio would embrace me like that. They've been so kind to me in the past with 'Tim McGraw' going Top 5, 'Teardrops' going to No. 2 and now I have a No. 1 song and I can't stop smiling. It's awesome!"

To top it all off, Taylor's debut album recently went double platinum, signifying two million in sales. "It blows my mind sometimes that my album got to be No. 1 for eight weeks this year," she says, "especially because I wrote every song on that album. And it's hard to figure out why. I think maybe because the songs on there, I really just put everything into them. We put six or seven songs on there that we thought could be singles because we wanted to make sure that it was the best thing we could put out there. Also, we toured as much as we possibly could. Two nights out of every three this year, we were playing shows, and that's not counting travel days. So maybe that has something to do with it."

Taylor's latest sales milestone means she'll be getting some new ink very soon. She reveals that she thought the two million mark was so unreachable that she once promised to get a heart-shaped tattoo on her foot if the album ever got there. Now that it has, she plans to follow through with several folks at her label joining in.