Friday, November 30, 2007

Blake picks his choir



At least he's picking a choir... and not his nose.

He never had any desire to sing in choir as a child, but Blake Shelton will assume the role of choir director next month during NBC's live reality talent show, Clash of the Choirs.

The Oklahoman reports that Blake held final auditions for his choir Tuesday in Oklahoma City. The show will pit five choirs, each directed by a famous musical artist, against one another in a live competition in New York. It's set to air December 17 through 20.

At the preliminary auditions, 50 singers were chosen from the hundreds who tried out. One contestant, Megan Roberts, 20, was from Blake's hometown of Ada. She said her dad, Chuck Roberts, a teacher there, had told her stories about Blake's high school shenanigans. "He said you tied a dead deer up in a car as a prank and acted like it was driving," she said.

Blake acknowledged the prank, adding that he still likes to hunt. After Megan sang a beautiful rendition of LeAnn Rimes' "Blue," Blake said, "I can't believe that I'm about to let the meanest-teacher-I-ever-had's daughter in my choir. Congratulations. Let's go to New York City." He told her to say "hi" to everyone in Ada for him — except her father.

"Obviously, we're going to lean a little bit country," Blake said of his choir. "I mean, we're from Oklahoma. And if I'm the leader of the pack, then my expertise is in country music, you know. I think there's a lot of country music that lends itself to choir music, and the trick's going to be picking the exact right songs, and songs that will have impact."

Blake said he's a little worried about directing the choir, since he has no experience at it. "I'm pretty nervous because they told me that I'll have to actually conduct these people," he said. "What does all this mean? Point up, point down, sing high, sing low, I don't know! It's going to be comical, to say the least."