Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Jo Dee Messina: Enjoying the Ride


BOB: We don't typically have a stomach for rides, but in this case, we'll make an exception.

Shortly after the release of her rockin’ new single, “Biker Chick,” Jo Dee Messina took some time for an exclusive interview with Country Weekly. Here are some excerpts from that chat.

CW: How does your family feel about your fiancé, Chris? Have they all met him?

JM: My mother loves him . . . well, my family loves him. He’s just one of those guys everybody loves. I think if there was a son-in-law my mother could pick, he would be somebody she would choose. Because he’s so kind to me and he takes care of her. He’s very kind, easygoing. My brother loves him, he helps my brother out around the house. And he’s very much about family. And I grew up that way. I grew up . . . the Italians, we all stick together. It’s all about the family. Every holiday was 50 million people. It kind of resembles my Big Fat Greek Wedding, but it’s Italian! [Laughs]

CW: Does he know what he’s getting into . . . in terms of family?

JM: He’s met ‘em all. Even the cousins and distant relatives . . . we all get together at the holidays. So, he’s met them all and we’ve spent time with them at home in Boston or at vacation spots around the country. So they all know him.

CW: Other than your wedding, which I assume is WAY at the top of your list, what’s the best thing that could happen to you in the next couple of months?

JM: We have a successful launch of this new album. My music album is like my soul. It’s a piece of me, it’s a part of who I am. I do music because it is a part of who I am. I’ve known it since . . . 18 months old, there’s a picture of me sitting at the piano. It’s my life. So, I think it’s truly a blessing to have the career I have and to able to do what I love so much . . . and that’s my living. That’s how I make my living . . . if we have a successful launch of this new album, that allows me to do it even longer.

I think it’s important that there’s gratitude. Every time a record does well, I’m grateful. I’m filled with gratitude for it. It’s never a given. It’s not like, “Oh, you’re so and so. You have this song out. It’s an automatic hit.” I don’t choose to look at it that way. I choose to be grateful for each success that we have, and it’s never taken for granted. So that would be it, a successful launch of the new album.

Thanks: Country Weekly