Monday, September 24, 2007

No more big hair for Reba


After living mostly in Los Angeles for the past six years while shooting her sitcom "Reba," Reba McEntire recently returned to her home in Sumner County, Tenn., with a new perspective. Reba, who's most likely to be seen in blue jeans these days, says her former flashy big-haired image was actually a stylist's idea of what she should look like. "I went for it because I had no taste," she tells The Tennessean. "I grew up with hand-me-downs all my life. I had no idea what I was wanting to wear."

Despite her reputation for being assertive and no-nonsense, Reba says she used to be a people pleaser "I would never take a drink of beer onstage," she says. "I would never sing a song that had beer or whiskey in it. I would never say anything off-color in an interview. Every decision I made, I ran through people that I was trying to make sure I would please. Now I go on my own gut feeling that that's the right thing to do if I want to do it. Because it is honest; it is me."

Nowadays Reba has discovered that she enjoys playing games, vacationing and spending time with friends. "I love being 52," she says. "I get to be me now, and I don't have to please anybody. I please myself first, and I love myself first. Because if I can love me, I am more open to everybody accepting me the way I am, and I don't have to pretend."

No more big hair, huh? Now we have to redo the entire shrine we had built for her... anyone got a hair clippers?